11.30.2008

CRAFTSMANSHIP


  It's always been my belief that workmanship and craftsmanship have been the bench mark of any era.  It's interesting to think, that at any given time, even the oldest examples of craftsmanship were in fact innovations in their day.  When I find fine examples of some of these stylistic elements, some of which are still used or have been reinvented for today, I feel a certain continuity that gives me security.  In Particular, as quality goes down and references
 to things like proportion are disregarded, I find there isn't any semblance of order to even the most mundane things. With the current economy, I wonder if part of what some of us are experiencing is actually discernment (finally) regarding how much mediocrity is produced. 
 Is less of more sometimes actually more?